5.22.2011

No time to be sassy

This is no time to be sassy...only share my thoughts, love and prayers for all of those affected by the tornado that ripped through Joplin, MO earlier this afternoon.  To some, it may just be another sad story of a natural disaster.  But to me and my community it is more.  I grew up in Pittsburg, KS which is only a quick 30 minute drive to Joplin.  Growing up in Pitt, Joplin was the next largest city we frequently traveled to for shopping as well as birthday dinners and homecoming dates.  Now, I sit in shock watching the national coverage on The Weather Channel and the local coverage on the Kansas City News.  At least 33% of the city is demolished.  So far 24 fatalities have been confirmed.  And I'm sure that's only the beginning.  My stomach is in knots.  I can't even fathom what the city will look like the next time I venture to Joplin.  Will I even recognize the city I grew up frequenting?


Photo courtesy of The New York Times.


My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you affected in any way, shape or form.  To those of you who have rushed over to Joplin to help any way you can, you will also be in my thoughts and prayers.  You are among some of the most compassionate human beings.  I wish I could be there to help.  Not gonna lie, I didn't believe in all of the end of the world bull shit hype, but I can't help but be a little freaked out by the timing of all of this.  My heart goes out to you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...